Aerial photo taken on March 31, 2017 shows Baiyangdian, north Chinas largest freshwater wetland, in Anxin County, north Chinas Hebei Province. China announced Saturday it would establish the Xiongan New Area in Hebei Province, as part of measures to advance the coordinated development of the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei (BTH) region. The New Area, about 100 km southwest of downtown Beijing, will span three counties that sit at the center of the triangular area formed by Beijing, Tianjin and Hebeis provincial capital Shijiazhuang. (Xinhua/Yang Shiyao)
Chinas decision on Saturday to set up the Xiongan New Area near Beijing will usher in a new chapter in the countrys historic transitioning to coordinated, inclusive and sustainable growth.
In terms of national significance, the area parallels the Shenzhen Economic Zone and Pudong New District, Chinas successful test beds for reform and opening up. The area will operate as a new growth pole for the countrys economy, and also aim to curb urban sprawl, bridge growth disparities and protect ecology.
It is unprecedented to have a special zone with such inclusive development value. It is of huge significance as coordinated and sustainable growth is so important for the country.
The area is about 100 km southwest of downtown Beijing and will become home to facilities not related to the capital that were relocated from Beijing, where breakneck urban growth has given rise to urban ills such as traffic congestion and air pollution.
After the new area takes shape, Beijing will focus on serving as the countrys capital, easing its mounting population and pollution problems.
The area will boost the economy in the surrounding region around the capital where Beijings wealth and prominence have not spread.
The three counties that the new area covers reported a combined GDP of about 20 billion yuan (2.94 billion U.S. dollars) last year, less than 1 percent of Beijings economic output. After resources flow into the region, Xiongans economy will make a big difference.
Last but not least, Xiongan will help address the chronic pollution that restrains the regions development potential and jeopardizes public health.
Protecting local ecology will be a priority, as the authority does not want to repeat the outdated practice of pollution first, treatment later. People will live in a cleaner and safer environment.
Xiongan will be an answer to Chinas growth conundrum: breakneck urban sprawl must give way to a balanced and inclusive development strategy.
The creation of the area is the right decision at the right time. Xiongan will be more than a mere replica of Chinas past success; it will tell the tale of the future of a new city.
- At least 193 killed, 202 injured in Colombia landslides
- China shuts down 18 illegal live streaming apps
- Chinas Q1 GDP growth may quicken to 6.9 pct CICC
- Chinese Internet giants eye artificial intelligence
- Chinas big-five banks report slim profit rise in 2016
- Beijing expands housing purchase restriction
- Chinas SPD Bank 2016 net profits up 4.93 pct
- Hong Kong shares up 0.28 pct by midday
- Xiongan New Area to catalyze Chinas inclusive growth
- Magnificent 10 for Chinese divers at World Diving Series Kaz
- 1 Beijing Police release investigation report on hotel attack
- 2 Iowa Governor Terry Branstad nominated for next U.S. ambassa
- 3 Over half Americans skeptical about Trumps ability to handle
- 4 China to strictly evaluate poverty relief work
- 5 SpaceX successfully launches ISS resupply mission, rocket la
- 6 College Board toughens SAT security measures
- 7 Ethiopia-Djibouti railway the Tazara railway in a new era
- 8 Crowdfunding cannot save Chinas leukemia girl
- 9 Political calls mount for S. Korean president to leave rulin
- 10 China shuts down 18 illegal live streaming apps